I'm your one-stop, one-woman writing, editing, blogging, teaching and consulting firm.
I have been writing professionally since 1996, and I've published dozens and dozens (and dozens) of magazine articles. I am fascinated by people's stories, and my passion has been telling those stories.
My work is quite versatile, both in terms of content and format. Here's a short list of some of the topics I've covered:
• Health & Wellness: migraines; eating disorders; breast cancer; diabetes; domestic abuse; "sick" buildings; exercising during pregnancy; finding the right doctor for your kids; healthy eating.
• Home & Garden: improving your patio; loft living; decorating on a dime; English-style cottage living; the Demuth Home & Garden tour; updating your fireplace; urban gardening.
• Parenting: eating out with kids; party-planning ideas; holiday gift guides for kids; choosing the right doctor for your kids; tips for professional family photo shoots; the challenges of single parenting.
• Food: two cookbooks; understanding wine; healthy eating; Easter food traditions; cookies; fancified casseroles; restaurant-award winner profiles; chef profiles.
• Other: book reviews; personal essays; Q&As; historical feature and book-length M.F.A. thesis on the Carlisle Indian Industrial School; profiles of 9/11 search-and-rescue workers, political cartoonist David Rees ("Get Your War On!"), and activist/filmmaker/musician/juggler Greg Bennick; and much more.
I am always looking for and available for assignments, so please contact me!
Copyediting, Proofreading & Fact-checking:
Copyediting & Proofreading: My experience as a professional writer and former full-time magazine editor have afforded me the skills required to polish and correct writing and to make so-so copy sing, for print or the web.
I have edited long web articles about Pennsylvania history, two 28-page free magazines (Hispanic Flair and Asia Rising, both focused on multiculturism and diversity), multiple cookbooks, and more.
As I am a professor of print journalism, it's my job to teach students how to tell better stories — and to tell them accurately and correctly. I know well the conventions of grammar, AP style and journalistic writing (as well as broadcast and public-relations writing) because I teach these conventions to others, semester after semester. Nothing undercuts professionalism and credibility more than improper grammar, typos and spelling or punctuation errors. Let me help you fix those mistakes.
Fact-checking: Accuracy is everything in journalism. During my time as a magazine managing editor, I instituted a fact-checking protocol to help ensure each story we published was as accurate as it could possibly be — before we published it. It's a regimen I teach to my journalism students. It's one I use for my own writing, and I can do the same for your publication.
My hourly rates are competitive and depend on the deadline and the type and amount of work that's required. I also am willing to work for a flat fee. Contact me with more information about your project or to find out more about my rates and availability.
In addition to the previously listed services, I am also available for consulting. Contact me for more information.